Value Stack #35
Natural Winemaking, Risk-Taking, and Low-Time Preference Mindset with Ben Justman
Ben Justman is a small business owner, winemaker and bitcoiner in Western Colorado. His winery, Peony Lane, is a Natural Winery in the highest wine region in North America and specializes in Pinot Noir. He uses his background as a farmer, business owner and bitcoiner to educate his communities about sound money and the importance of supporting local food systems.
In Value Stack 35, we discuss growing up in Colorado and the process of making natural wine – from the soil composition, planning and time involved, to marketing and finding a niche market in selling to bitcoiners!
We hash out what it’s like being a millennial in 2023, and how difficult it can be to explain or understand how money, the economy, or bitcoin works – especially to peers. We wrap talking about how cities and rural living often comes with different worldviews, the nature of risk-taking in life, and how to develop resolve and conviction in your own ideas.
This was a really genuine conversation that I thoroughly enjoyed. I hope you do too, and please consider supporting Ben’s small business vineyard in the links below!
- 00:00 Intro – Bitcoiners and virtuous ways of living
- 09:05 Difficulties of teaching people about how money and bitcoin works
- 17:35 Soil & natural wine-making in rural Colorado – Peony Lane Wine
- 36:30 Advantages and challenges of running a “bitcoin business”
- 55:00 Being a “millennial” in America today and reflecting on life goals
- 1:06:18 Low-time preference and marketing to bitcoiners
- 1:14:45 Wine, alcohol, and its place in social culture
- 1:23:00 Risk-taking
- 1:26:02 Moving bitcoin privately / UTXO selection
- 1:28:00 Comparing worldviews of rural vs city life
- 1:33:20 Passionate work, low-time-preference mentality, and “fiat” lifestyle
- 1:38:58 Experiences using bitcoin as medium of exchange
- 1:48:25 Trusting your own conviction vs listening to experts
- 1:55:04 Outro
- Check out Peony Lane Wine
- Follow Ben on Twitter
- Support the Show: https://valuestack.xyz/support